Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high. It affects about 37 million Americans, including adults and youth. Diabetes can damage the eyes, kidneys, nerves, and heart, and it is linked to some types of cancer. But there’s also good news: Taking charge of your health may help you prevent diabetes health problems.
- Manage your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels.
- Take small steps toward healthy habits.
- Take your medicines on time.
- Reach or maintain a healthy weight.
- Take care of your mental health.
- Work with your health care team.